"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it"
Italian sculptor, painter and engineer of the High Renaissance
"A good engineer thinks in reverse and asks himself about the stylistic consequences of the components and systems he proposes."
According to Harvard Business Review:
“People make business plans for all sorts of reasons — to attract funding, evaluate future growth, build partnerships, or guide development. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these plans are usually out of date by the time the printer ink dries. Business moves fast: the product’s features morph, new competitors emerge, or the economic climate shifts. When these changes occur, many people just throw their business plans out the window. For a plan to be truly valuable it needs to evolve with your company and stay relevant in the face of uncertainty.
One of the first items you’ll find on every entrepreneur’s checklist is 'Write business plan'. The key is to create a living document.”
Harvard Business Review article "Keeping Your Business Plan Flexible", by Amy Gallo (September 2010)
Business Plan Executive Summary:
The Business Power Plan™ - THE Foundation for Rapid Success
As Harvard Business Review says, having a business plan is one of the first items just about every entrepreneur has on his/her to-do list, for various reasons:
Either you need funding and need a plan to show investors:
- Start-up (concept stage or already fleshed out)
- New business segment is added
- New round of investment needed
Or you are working on a transition point in your business and you need to think it through powerfully:
- Planning business growth
- Dealing with hyper growth
- Orchestrating succession
- Preparing for selling the business
The Challenges with the Traditional Business Plan
- Long (often 30+pages)
- Can be overwhelming to prepare
- Time consuming
- Often costly
- Not useful for running your business on a daily/ weekly basis
- Most commonly put into a drawer and left to collect dust after funding has been received
Many times a much shorter format, similar to a business plan executive summary, is actually much more useful useful type of business plan.
Even if you need a traditional extensive business plan starting with a business plan executive summary is much more effective than starting with the writing of a full plan from the start.
In fact, we often find that client who have a long traditional business plan don't find them useful to run their business with it. The format of traditional plans does not lend itself to executing strategies and consistently following the action steps that are needed to succeed.
Discover the power of a special version of the business plan executive summary called the Business Power Plan™.
A Powerful "Business Plan Executive Summary":
Discover the Business Power Plan™ as a Better & Faster Way
- Essentially it is a business plan executive summary one would find in a traditional business plan
- 2-3 pages in length
- What you envision
- Why you are in business
- What you are planning to achieve - goals
- What your strategies are
- An outline of your action plan
- The Business Power Plan™ is a self-contained, powerful business plan
The Benefits of the Business Power Plan™ (Business Plan Executive Summary)
A tool to capture results of thinking it through systematically:
- Express CLEARLY and quickly what your business is all about
- Get feedback from a recognized business growth and turnaround expert
- Discover blind spots and/or new questions to consider
- You will be clear on what is next
- Get ready for funding
- Demonstrate CLARITY (to investors, team members, collaborators...)
As “sniff test” for investors - is there interest?
- Attract team members, collaborators, joint ventures, referrers etc.
Expand the plan and/or create pitch deck (if needed)
- Can be readily expanded into a full traditional business plan (it is much faster and painless that way!)
- Easily carries over into a pitch deck for investors
Actually run your business with this plan
- Get completely clear on all aspects of your business – it is very powerful planning!
- Have a revolving 90-day action plan for success
- Keep your eye on work/life balance
How We Do Create the Business Power Plan™?
It is a very straightforward process:
- 4 video conference sessions
- We work with you to articulate and refine all aspects of your Business Power Plan™
- We see each other and I share my computer screen with you
- We produce the Business Power Plan™ in real time together
- Dr. Stephie types as she discuss your plan with you, asks you the right questions, and organizes the results of the discussion
The result: Your 2-3 Business Power Plan™
- It only takes four hours
- You get a powerful version of a business plan executive summary that you can use to run your business and can be readily expanded into a full traditional plan if needed
- Amazingly affordable
- You get access to the recordings of our sessions
Expanding from the Business Power Plan™ (Business Plan Executive Summary) to a Traditional Plan in Very Little Time
The first question is: "Do I really need a full-fledged business plan?" If the answer is "yes" (probably because you are seeking funding) then know:
You have already done the hardest part (in only four hours), namely, to articulate your vision, mission, overall goals and strategies. You even have an outline of your action plan and reverse engineered your goals with expert guidance.
You have in fact something better, i.e., more actionable, than a regular business plan executive summary.
Now you are well prepared to flesh out your business power plan into a full traditional plan. You already have thought through and discussed most of the elements contained in a traditional plan and becomes an exercise of expanding your Business Power Plan. The very good news is, you will not face the pain most entrepreneurs go through. No sitting in front of an empty business plan template and having "writer's block."
Of course, if you need a full plan we can help you with that as well. We recommend to start with the Business Power Plan in any case - because it will get you to your goal faster, with less expense and it will actually be FUN!
We offer the Business Power Plan™ by itself or as a part of a custom consulting/coaching solution.
The Business Power Plan™ is also a great first step to begin Brilliance Extraction™, a process that gives you lots of leverage in
a) Growing your business
b) Planning for succession
c) Exiting the business
Contact us for a complimentary conversation so we can discuss your needs and discover whether we are a great fit for each other.
"Dr. Stephie Althouse is an insightful and creative consultant and executive coach. Her Fresh Eyes Assessment has been integral to positioning the company for higher profits. She has displayed tireless dedication, tremendous skill and beyond-the-call-of-duty commitment in guiding us in our efforts to create our family legacy."
Eddie Moreno, Vice-President, Sales at The Arrowhead Leasing Company, Inc.
"Dr. Stephie Althouse excels in the corporate world as a Visiting CEO. She developed a "Fresh Eyes Assessment" and does a turn around with troubled companies. She has pulled them from near bankruptcy to profit in a relatively short time. One of her specialties is working with ESOP companies."
June Davidson, Ph.D., President of American Seminar Leaders Association and Coaching Firm International, Asla.com
"My business had stopped growing at the rate I thought it could, and I knew that I needed some help. Dr. Stephie did an incredible job at identifying what makes my business special and helped me to maximize that uniqueness to help grow business. My business is running much smoother and more efficiently, and my stress level has dropped considerably."
Bill Walsh, District Manager, Farmers Insurance, District Carlsbad, CA
“Dr. Stephie is a driven and highly energetic executive. She has kept the team focused, and the company growing, even during the recent economic cycle. Last year’s revenues increased 41%. Stephie has expanded the company’s portfolio of products and skills into new technology areas. Client satisfaction is very high.”
Jim Waring, Executive Chairman, CleanTECH San Diego
Fantastic CEO!! Couldn’t ask for a better person to steer the ship of my company. Great advisor, problem solver, people person, and system analyst.
Joy Megas, CEO, Simply Pay Yourself First
Discover How the Business Power Plan™ Puts Your Business on a Fast Track to Success
- Discover that Business Power Planning™ is actually FUN!
- Feel the power of a plan about as short as an business plan executive summary that packs a bunch in terms of being useful!
- Stop wasting time and money on tedious business planning approaches that don't give you in return what you put into it
- Identify investors, team members and collaborators faster than you ever thought possible with a crisply articulated message